General Questions

What is Shasta Internship program?

Created in January 2010, Shasta Internship program is a program designed to help Arts et Métiers ParisTech students get an international experience in the United States. The program is named after Mt. Shasta, a majestic dormant volcano in Northern California and a spectacular site that interns should visit during their stay.

What types of internships are available?

Students are available for various types of internships:

  • Standard summer internships during the summer months of June, July, and August
  • Six-month internships begining in February/March for students during their last year of graduate study, working on a final project with the internship
  • Extended Summer internship from July to January for students to complete for their final year specialization

Does AFAM pre-select students?


A Shasta committee including Audrey Stewart (Arts et Métiers ParisTech Head of International Office), Nichole Groppe (Arts et Métiers ParisTech US Representative), and a dedicated AFAM members conduct the pre-selection of student applicants. Many selection criteria are considered including academic performance, English fluency, individual commitment, personal project and entrepreneurship.

Pre-selected students are directed to a company with a relevant internship opening.


What do we need to do to obtain a work visa for the intern?

You will just need to fill forms. The J-1 visa process is initiated by the student who works with a sponsor (InterExchange, CIEE, chambers of commerce if you are a member,...) to get the visa. More information is available on the following websites: and

What is the cost of a work visa?
The Shasta program is at no cost to the employer. In order to initiate the process, the AFAM is subsidizing the cost of the visa procedure.

Compensation and Benefits

What compensation should we offer to intern?
The compensation is ultimately set by the employer. AFAM recommends a minimum compensation of $2000 per month depending upon the location of the position.

What taxes should we pay?
Participants on a J-1 Visa are considered non-resident aliens. They should not have any Social Security (FICA), Medicare or federal unemployment (FUTA) taxes withheld. Please consult a tax professional to find out if participants are exempt from state unemployment taxes in your state. For more detailed tax information, please review the IRS's Employer Tax Guide and Publication 515 at

Should we provide Medical Insurance?
No. Medical insurance will be provided to students by the sponsor (InterExchange or CIEE) or their French medical insurance.

Member Login & Registration